Sunday, November 02, 2008

Barakel---always glad to 'turn again'

What's not to love about spending a weekend in the beautiful North country of Michigan? I daresay it's hard to find an answer to that question. I had the opportunity to spend 2 weekends at Camp Barakel (a non-denominational Christian camp located in Fairview, MI). My time spent there is just another accumulation of many years' worth of time spent on the Camp's grounds. I enjoyed the 5 summers I spent at Barakel, and since graduating from college, I've enjoyed the opportunity to spend a few weekends there, both as a 'retreater' and in the capacity of ministry.
In September, I had the opportunity to be in both positions within the same month. My first weekend was spent ministering in music during a Fall Ladies Retreat, and my second weekend was spent with three women from my church as participants in the Ladies Retreat. I thoroughly enjoyed both weekends for various reasons: I enjoyed my time away from Saginaw, the opportunity to spend a weekend with other Christian women and be challenged by the Word in chapel services, to just have fun in the great outdoors, to see longtime friends on the Camp staff, and to come home feeling refreshed physically and spiritually. Below are a few pics and a bit of commentary.





I took this picture on my way out of Camp. The leaves weren't in their full glory, but I always enjoy pictures of rural roads that are surrounded by and sheltered by trees in their Fall colors.
The Immanuel gang: Me, Tracey Delong, Chris Klein, and Nora Krueger. This was taken in the East Side chapel. I must add that I was accosted by my older brother, Ben, after he saw a photo of me wearing this NY Yankees hat; apparently, I missed the family edict which stated that "Glupker's do NOT wear NYY hats." Ben was oblivious to the fact that apparently we do, because I borrowed this hat from my brother Drew. Either way, I just didn't want to do my hair, and so I was all about wearing a hat....any hat.
The chapel messages left me with a few thoughts to ponder, but also an overall important thing... the reaffirmation of the beauty of Truth from Scripture, and the true Life that it gives to believers. As people we forget many things and often need reminders to spur our memory.....
how I needed to be reminded that the beauty of a life lived for Christ is a sweet-smelling sacrifice to God, and an aroma that leaves its mark on the World around me.

Thunder Express: A long plastic tunnel/chute through which a person is propelled downhill while sitting on a plastic sled. Of course, I tried it out... and thought it was quite fun.


I spent a couple of mornings walking down to Shear Lake (located on Barakel property). This was taken on the West Side of camp; I hiked around the lake that morning from the East Side in order to play piano for a West Side chapel service. It was a grey, misty day, but the scenery didn't lose its luster.



The 4 of us tried our hand at archery, and we all did fairly well. Yes, we did hit the targets and we did score some points.




Nora was our resident sharpshooter. She did a phenomenal job at riflery, and I wish I could show you a video of how patient Nora was as she laid on her mat, taking careful aim at the targets. We were hoping Nora would win a prize and get her name announced in chapel, but someone beat her by a couple of points. Next time Nora!!





Tracey and Chris take aim with their 22 rifles.







This is a beautiful chrysallis I found outside of the side door of the East Side chapel. It was an intense jade color with little gold dots.... such an intricate work of Creation. It was gone by the time I came to my second weekend at Camp.






The beautiful Yamaha piano I played on in the East Side Chapel. I have no qualms in saying that I LOVE this piano. Such a beautiful depth and richness to its sound! I could play it for hours straight without a problem. Thanks to the Camp staff for inviting me to come and play my music on this gorgeous instrument! And further thanks to all of the staff who serve the Lord so faithfully year after year....you are a wonderful example to me.








5 Comments:

At 8:57 PM , Blogger mj said...

I bought that hat on my senior trip to New York City. Ben Bussinger and I both got one. I agree the singing and music is very special at Barakel. Your picture of the bow and arrow made me laugh. When i was a youngster at camp the person running the archery range accidentally gave me a wrong arrow, and me not being an expert, wasn't paying attention. I drew the arrow back and it came off its guide or whatever that thing is called. I let it go and it stuck in the bow about an inch above my thumb. I was lucky. Hope that rambling made sense.

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Sarah, two posts in one week. It's a miracle! Have a great trip to da u.p., eh? Ride that bike and enjoy the weather and your grandparents' company.

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I love your face in the Thunder Express picture. You look nervous!

 
At 5:14 AM , Blogger Phil Luter said...

I spent the last two weekends at Camp and last night we were at the annual meeting in Okemos. I was reminded again of the many people who make Barakel possible by volunteering. Thank you for being one of those folks. I would love to hear you play the piano in East Side Chapel.

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

MJ--
That's too funny!!!!! I thought I stole it from DRew, and Drew had stole it from you! OH, hilarious. I never knew you did that at Barakel. YOu must've been super young because I don't ever remembering you going to Camp in Jr/Sr High school. Archery is personally my favorite over riflery....largely because I stink at riflery.
Chris-- I wasn't nervous really. I just felt kind of goofy sitting in a plastic sled waiting to go down a plastic chute. I was thinking of what I must look like, and thought it must be quite ridiculous altogether. Chris K and i went down it 2 or 3 times. I thought it was fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home