Monday, July 21, 2008

Some 4th Fun

Fourth of July was spent in Holland,MI at my Grandma Glupker and Aunt Judy's home on 152nd St. The weather was perfect with a beautifully blue sky and big white clouds and a cool breeze to tone down the high 80-ish degree weather. It's generally a day consisting of a cookout, catching up with family (ie., gabbing), munching, playing softball, lazing at the beach, and anything else we decide to make up as an activity. My father has 2 brothers and 1 sister (Jim, John, Jack, & Judy) and now several of the cousins are married with children, so the brood continues to grow. Most of the family from my Dad's side were able to be there; we missed Chadd, Sarah, and Hayden (St.Paul, MN) and Ben, Kelly, and Owen (Louisville, KY), and Drew and Amanda (who had to work that day). Particularly for those Glupker's who were not with us in bodily form, these pics are for you.
Hudson Mack (One of my cousin Heather's kids) decides to take over the responsibility of driving the family van back to their home in Hudsonville. Perhaps the steering wheel reduces the visibility a tinge...? Such a patriotic little guy. He spent a good chunk of the day on the beach at Tunnel Park.
Taylor Mack-- playing a new game Aunt Judy taught us (after we all took a round at hitting the baseball). It was called "Lay it Down and Pick it Up". After a ball was hit, the person in the field who retrieved the ball had to roll it back to home base and try to hit the bat laid down by the hitter. If the bat was missed, the hitter got to hit again; if the bat was hit by the rolled ball, the one who hit it came in to bat. It was fun. This little guy was such a lucky duck! He always seemed to be able to roll the ball and hit that dumb bat as if it was an effortless exercise. You will notice he came dressed to the 9's. Taylor is a good little athlete and enjoys playing baseball on a Summer league.
My Dad watches a ball come in from the outfield towards his bat.
My cousin, Jeff, playing the Wii game my Aunt Judy just purchased a few weeks ago. Yes, he's as tall as you probably think that he is. My cousins Katie, Jeff, and I stayed overnight on the 4th and we played the Wii the next morning. It was my first experience with the game, and I must admit that it was pretty fun.
My Dad and Grandma Glupker (cousin Katie on the left, Jeff on the right)
The Mack Kids are ready to go home (Emily, Hayley, and Taylor... Hudson is, if you remember, up front driving the van).
My cousin, Lance, and Aunt Judy. She and my Grandma are pretty avid Tigers fans. Lance is looking for an El Ed teaching job in the Grand Rapids area, and anyone with half of a brain will know that they're getting one great guy, as well as one great teacher, if they hire him.

Jason Mack (Heather's husband) did a Jim-dandy of a job pitching for us here on the ball field of Wauckazoo Elementary School. Aunt Judy was in Rt field for a while, which was not what she really liked (as any of you who know her could probably already guess) because the action was not exactly in that section of the ballfield.
I've left out a few names, as well as their faces via picture: Uncle Jim and Aunt Marty; Bart, Debbie and Ethan (who is now walking like a champ); Uncle Jack and Aunt Jane; Kelly and her boyfriend, Andy... I think I got them all. It was good to have a full house.
My cousin Katie and I spent the 5th doing some biking around Holland, particularly down by the Holland State Park and along the bay. I had never been out to see the famous lighthouse, and so we swung by there to see the lighthouse (Ol' Red) and to watch the boats leave the harbor and head out onto the waters of Lake Michigan. Such a beautiful area...such a wonderful day...such a family to claim as "mine".... I'm grateful. Hope you all enjoyed your 4th!

1 Comments:

At 10:11 AM , Blogger amber said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I was thinking about you on the 4th and figuring you were having a great time with you family! Now that I think about it, you seem to have a grand time no matter where you are!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home