Monday, July 21, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed (and other non-avarian related things)

Lake Charlevoix, Michigan: this was my destination place on Tuesday, July 15th. I packed my bags, threw my bike (and Viv's) on the back of my car and headed North with Viv Gamez to Young State Park. Chris Klein had already landed the Eagle in its very well-situated campsite right on Lake Charlevoix. Kaleb and Trevor had headed to camp at Spring Hill, Kraig was still working back in Saginaw, and so I headed to Boyne City to enjoy some vacation time with Chris. We met up with a few friends along the way. Rod and Jodie (Gamez) Anderson and their two girls, Alysia and Alaina, live nearby in Petoskey, and so we spent some time with them on Walloon Lake (just outside of Petoskey). I have a few random shots of my 4 day trip, which was altogether very relaxing, very fun, and very short (unfortunately!).
Grandma Viv and Alysia are hunkered down in the front of the Anderson's boat as we headed across Walloon Lake to get some ice cream in town.
Chris K. and Jodie during our side-trip to Traverse City. I had never been to TC before and so Chris was up for the trip and we roped Jodie into going with us. What a cool downtown in that city! We had a fun day.
Here is the Eagle that landed (in Young State Park, that is). Chris had a big beast of a camper and it was the most luxurious camping I had ever done! We had a few nights around the campfire and I got to teach her how to play GOLF. I beat her in that game, but I'm afraid she skunked me in Badminton... beginner's luck, you know what I mean..?
Some of the beachfront on Lake Charlevoix.
Two little punkins' hanging out on the back of the boat (Alysia and Alaina).
Our perfect boat driver (aka Rod Anderson). I say "perfect" because: (1) He drove 'smoothly' enough that Chris did not get sick on our trip across Walloon Lake, and (2) He drove fast enough that those of us (such as myself) who wanted speed still had a fun ride.
Ernest Hemingway's cottage on Walloon Lake. It still belongs to the Hemingway family.
Thanks, Chris, for letting me stay in da' Eagle and for making my 4 days up North a lot of fun. I'm also grateful one of us has a keen sense of direction.... and Thanks to Rod and Jodie for a fun day at Walloon and for letting me hang out with the family. I think I'll have to invite myself up again sometime soon.

10 Comments:

At 9:06 PM , Blogger Phil Luter said...

We have camped in that park many times. There is a wonderful beach there. I am glad you had a good time. We will miss you next week on our backpacking trip. I'm starting to get a little excited about it. It is a busy week for me, I hope I don't forget anything. I know you will understand the importance of taking pancake mix and oil.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Kara said...

I can't believe you had never been to Traverse City before! Glad you had a good trip- those are some good peeps to hang with.

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

Phil--
It really is a great park, situated in a perfect spot. I did have a good time.
I hope your backpacking trip goes well....and that there are a few memorable moments along the way which add to the fun of the journey. I'll miss going, truly.
And YES! Please make sure there is enough oil to go around with the pancake mix; I've never had a pancake quite like yours, I must say, and I probably never will again. Perhaps you'd better scale back on the oil just a tinge this time...

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger amber said...

Glad you could join friends and try to keep Chris K out of trouble!Maybe I should warn Matt about the pancakes for the backpacking trip!

 
At 7:29 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

I'm afraid I only joined Chris K. in her trouble...perhaps added a bit of my own, but who's counting?
Yes, BEWARE of PHil's pancakes. I think he learned his lesson. One year (the first that the trip was opened up to women), the participants included Phil, Pam, my Dad, and me---basically, it was a father/daughter trip! Anyways, PHil made these pancakes one morning before we were to take a big hike; the pancakes were so oil-soaked that they sat like a rock in your stomach. He showed us how much oil he used and we couldn't believe it!! Oy! The stomach needed hours to recover, let's just put it that way. We still laugh about those dumb pancakes. Ahh, memories.....

 
At 7:36 PM , Blogger Pam said...

That sounds like so much fun! We were at Lake Charlevoix last week! I think you were already gone when we got there.
Oooooh those pancakes! I think my stomach just sunk. Don't you miss it just a little??? I do. Loved those backpacking trips with you Sarah!!!

 
At 9:37 AM , Blogger chris k said...

Okay, just for the record...Sarah does not have a keen sense of direction! We were lost in the dark on several bike and walking trails in Young State Park. Where was the flashlight when you needed it? Pam, when were you there? I have been there for the last two weeks (13th - 27th)...did I miss you?

 
At 12:30 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

Chris Klein! Did you get back to where you needed to be at the end of each biking and/or walking excursion? Yep, that's what I thought. You made it back to da' Eagle every single time. Yes, my Keen sense of direction still is with me.

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Sarah...while it is true that we made it back to said camper each night, I must point out the great danger if said two "hot looking" chicks were wandering around in near blackness of night! What could happen even if one said girl knows karate? Perhaps a mapping device of some sort would have been a better thought before taking off onto a trail with said karate girl!

 
At 8:30 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

Might I add that the said karate skills were never even warranted, and my keen sense of direction still landed you and your karate butt back at the camper each time (albeit after a slightly muddied navigational experience).
You have no faith in my keenness; this is a hard blow for me to handle. Can I recover, is the question.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home