Saturday, November 01, 2008

Inside-Out

Just a quick blog to say "thank you" to the many who have, over the past couple of months, asked how things were working out between me and my insulin pump. Well, I'm here to tell you.... we're getting along fabulously! We seem to be a very good match, one of which I'm truly grateful for.
My new insulin pump is called an "OmniPod",and it is just that.... a little pod that sticks right to me. I fill the pod with insulin, stick it on my skin (usually on my abdomen or lower back), program it to insert the catheter under my tissue, wear it for 3 days, and then remove it and begin the process all over again. I received my inservice on my 31st birthday (Aug. 8th) and did a lot of adjusting and monitoring of trends particularly that first month. I went to see my endocrinologist 2 weeks ago and my Hemoglobin A1C level (which tells the trend of how controlled my blood sugars are over a 3 month period of time) has gone down and is just about where both my doctor and I would like it to be.
Now, I think things are going much more smoothly and I feel pretty confident about the whole thing. As a matter of fact, I count it as one of my unique characteristics. Most everyone has a pancreas in the inside of their body, and mine resides in a little half-egg sized pod on the outside of my body. Yep, I'm a little inside-out. Comes with the package now, I guess!! Praying for another 22+ yrs of a good, full life with my constant companion, Type 1 diabetes.
To see what my pump looks like (if anyone is halfway curious or just plain bored), visit http://www.myomnipod.com/

8 Comments:

At 7:21 PM , Blogger Kara said...

I didn't know you had an insulin pump!!! I'm so happy for you that it's working out great.

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Kelly Glupker said...

I hate to admit it, but it slipped my mind that you were switching to a pump. I'm glad things are working out though! But I'm curious, why are you hoping for only 22 more years?

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Sarah...hurray for the omnipod. Only 22 more years, splurge a little and go for at least 23! Dork!!!!

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

I wrote 22+ (that's 22 PLUS years); I certainly hope I have more than 22 yrs left as well...glad you do too.

 
At 1:55 PM , Blogger Phil Luter said...

I am thinking at least 69 more years and at least 9 of those to be good years, (the other 60 should be great years). I am glad you are enjoying good health with your new friend.

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Kelly Glupker said...

haha, I know what the + sign meant. :) But why not hope for 40+ years? What's so special about the number 22?

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

Nothing profoundly special about the number 22. The relation to my comment is that I've been diabetic for 22 yrs., so that's where I drew the number from. I've had 22 yrs of good health despite my diabetes, and am hoping for 22+ more years of good health...despite my diabetes. That's all.

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger Amanda Irene said...

sarah I understood you! Gesh. Tuff crowd! ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home