Monday, June 16, 2008

Badminton Anyone?




After much deliberating on what to purchase for myself online through a rewards site that my employer gives to employees for varying reasons (mine being perfect attendance last quarter),
I chose as my gift a badminton set. Now, before I am ridiculed for picking a typified 'cheesy' gift such as that, I have to say that it is NOT as easy as it may seem. One of my coworkers at the hospital got me interested in the game; she and her husband pop up a badminton net in the Summer and regularly have all-out, fiercely competitive games in their backyard. She made it sound like fun. Michael and I decided to bring it out and pop it up in my back yard a couple of weeks ago, and we then proceeded to find out just exactly how coordinated and athletic one must be to play the game. Unlike other racquet games, a shuttlecock (not a ball) is struck and the shuttlecock is never allowed to touch the ground during volleying. On the official US Badminton website, they say that a shuttlecock can leave a racquet at the speed of 200mph. There wasn't anything close to the 3-digit range of speed in my back yard on the day that Michael and I played, but I can say that SEG-A came out the winner, not MJ. Anyone out there an avid badminton fan? Just thought I'd ask....

8 Comments:

At 6:36 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Seriously, I was just talking to Mr. Michael about badminton yesterday. I am up for a game, Sarah. Although, I have to say it, I would probably woop you and can you really have that happen in your own backyard? Would I receive a victory walk down the street to Bill's Party Store after your stunning defeat? I'm anxiously pining away for the Sarah vs. Chris showdown.

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

Bring it on, Sister-Blister!!!
I'll take you to Bill's Party Store AND Kuli's if you woop me (which is highly unlikely, I might add).

 
At 9:35 AM , Blogger chris k said...

OOOOOHHHH...Bill's and Kuli's? Next day off for you, it's on! The weather has to be warm and below the 85 degree mark. I can't be too cold or too hot. I might not play up to my abilities. By the way, softball shirts are in! Hot pink with purple tie dye - the men will look very manly!

 
At 8:05 AM , Blogger Kara said...

You guys are funny! Maybe you should set up some bleachers in your yard and we can all come watch!

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Kara, I am game for that but So Sorry Sarah might be too embarrassed. She is going to lose! She has a new deck which would be lovely for the multitude of fans that we would of course get. Maybe we can have someone sell refreshments...lemonade from Amanda, perhaps.

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger amber said...

I love badminton - although it's been years since I've played. Let me play, let me play!

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Amber - I'm speaking for Sarah here because she is going to have a busy weekend - I think that we should get a tournament going. Are you in favor or opposed to the loser having to buy slurpees from Bill's party Store? If you want to play, say in favor!

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger chris k said...

SARAH>>>IT'S LIKE A MONTH LATER. HELLO? NEW POST PLEASE.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home