Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lovin to be UP North, October 2008

November 2008. After suffering a slight disappointment with the results of the presidential election, I decided I needed a trip to the UP!! Disappointment aside, it was time for me to visit my grandparents in Houghton, MI, as well as my Uncle Mike, Aunt Karen, and cousin Blake. I always have a great time and wish they all lived within closer proximity to me, rather than the slightly lengthy jaunt of about 500 miles. These pics have been hiding out in my camera for a few months and I decided that it was high time they came out of seclusion.


Grandma Patterson, me, Uncle Mike, Aunt Karen, and Blake. My grandparents are both nature lovers, and their house bears evidence to this in various ways; I just happened to catch a picture of one of these evidences-- to the right, you'll see my Grandma's collection of bird figurines. If you're lucky enough, you'll be in their house at the top-o'-the hour to hear their bird clock "chirp" with one of the 12 different bird songs it chimes out.


Here we are playing Blake's most recent favorite board game: Clue. I hadn't played it for years, but it was a lot of fun! Grandma was hilarious because she wasn't real interested in figuring out all of the details surrounding the unsolved mystery, so her gamepiece resided in the Hallway the entire length of the game....and she still had fun. Who won?? Hmmm....I told you I had a lot of fun playing the game....

Gramps, Gran, and I took a day to tour the Eastern side of the Keweenaw peninsula, going through Bete Grise and up to the very Northern tip through the town of Copper Harbor. On our way back to Houghton, we stopped and had dinner at my Uncle's old restaurant, the Hut Inn. It's a unique looking building, but very cool inside and still serves some good food. It was fun to go back.


My Favorite Veteran: Robert D. Patterson. I didn't realize it until this visit, but Grandpa puts out the American flag every Veterans Day. This year, though, I got to take a picture of him doing so. He's working on making a verbal record of his WWII experiences to send in to the National Archives in Washington, D.C.



The Old House: my Grandparents' home-away-from Home. It resides close to the town of Eagle Harbor, and its interior is still in circa-1930's motif. No running water, an attached outhouse, wood-burning stove, etc. But it is surrounded by acres of land to hike and explore, as well as a garden they've scratched out by hand (the terrain is very rocky), and it is away from the city life. I have many fond memories of this place and always will.




Me and Gramps. He's the best!! I never have a visit with him without laughing like crazy.....and the same goes for him. We both get a little crazy and drive my Grandma nuts!





A stimulating game of Darts played with my cousin Blake. Yep, it took place in my Grandparent's living room. Where else?






A beautiful Fall day overlooking the waters of Lake Superior as seen here in Eagle Harbor. My siblings and I spent many happy Summer days playing on this beach and swimming in this harbor, and eating at the Shore Line restaurant. It's always great to come back and visit.
For anyone interested in traveling to this area, make sure you hit the Brockway Mountain Drive: it is absolutely gorgeous in the Fall.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home