Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Blast from the Past

Have you ever been going about your day and been blasted with an object from the past? Set you back to another time and another place? Well, I have seen a few things in the past couple of months that catapulted me backwards in time and thought I'd share a few of these "things", and hopefully spark some comment.
First: A lady with big, poofy brown hair extending from the back of her head in a nice vertical line. How's this happen?? It's a BANANA CLIP, a nice bright white one. Someone had been saving that in a drawer for the past 2 decades.
Second: A woman walking down the hall with glowing legs. How's this happen?? It's bright neon green LEG WARMERS.... so bright that I think even Helen Keller may have been able to see the glow.
Third: An elderly person with long, grey hair and a hippy-ish bandana tied around the forehead, singing bluegrass/country tunes. It's WILLIE NELSON. I think the only way I know any of his songs is that every infomercial that sold records had him as one of the highlighted artists (You know, those old commercials that scrolled down through a list of song titles, while background music played). There was a patient on my floor recently who had long, scraggly grey hair and wore a multi-striped bandana around the forehead. We called her "Mrs. Willie Nelson", and if she had a beard and sang the tunes, I swear you would've thought she was Willie incarnate.
Anybody else had some recent blasts from the past?

9 Comments:

At 5:51 PM , Blogger chris k said...

A banana clip? Really? Did you ask to borrow it? How about Jamz shorts? They were really the big stuff in '85 or '86. i had two pairs and thought I was so cool. The other day, a student (ghetto, mind you) walks in with a pair of Jamz shorts. Where do you find these things now? Maybe the same drawer as the banana clip?

 
At 7:47 PM , Blogger Kara said...

I loved the look of the banana clip, but I have never been good at doing my hair, so they never stayed in properly. It made me really sad.

I can't think of any blasts from the past that I've had recently, but I'll think on it.

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

Chris--- Yes, these items can be found together in the same drawer, entitled "OUTDATED". I was cool...I had 3 banana clips: white, hot pink, and peach. Can anything say "classy" more than that?
I do remember Jamz shorts!! I had a couple pair, too. Clearly, your student stumbled across the "outdated" drawer as he got ready (in the dark) for school that morning. I'm thinking that Jamz shorts are not going to be resurrected into mainstream fashion.

Kara---now you don't have enough hair to even use a banana clip! Girl, you need to be growing out that hair and I"ll hook you up with a clip... and everybody will be overwhelmed.....completely and thoroughly overwhelmed. Need I say more?

 
At 11:29 AM , Blogger Kara said...

Sarah, your hair has always been something I envy. If you want to put in a banana clip for me I'll start growing it right now. The prenatal vitamins have given it a boost.

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Pam said...

We have a blast from the late 80's in our home every night! James loves the old school rap. Lately he's found the videos on YouTube...Weird Al anyone?? I have yet to see him breakdance though. Although he claims to be king of the cardboard in his day :)

 
At 7:45 PM , Blogger chris k said...

Nooooo...not Weird Al!! What about the Beastie Boys and Run DMC? That is old school rap. Kraig said that he was the master of the robot dance. I think that we should have a dance-off between these two. :)

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger Pam said...

Chris K- we actually own and listen to, frequestly, the Monsters of Rap CD! yep, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, all the oldies and goodies.
I would pay big money to watch those two dance off!!!!! Good idea! Maybe we could raise money for the church building?

 
At 7:10 PM , Blogger Sarah Glupker said...

A Banana Clip and a new Baby.... these two things should certainly come into your life at the same time, Kara. Start growing out those locks! And I WILL want pictures of you in the clip...it's just going to have to be that way.

 
At 6:28 PM , Blogger Jenny LaBo said...

Let me tell you something about banana clips they are a fashion staple here in Douglas, AZ. Fortunately they come in more subdued tones such as tan and black.
And what's up with strecth pants being back.
No people. No

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home