Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Honduras, The Human Front----Nov. 2006

Below are a few snapshots of some of the Honduran people I met during my travels. I have many, many more that I could share. The people loved getting their pictures taken, and then being able to see themselves on the digital screen was an added treat.

A little girl staring out of curiosity at the Americans outside her home
in Seguatepeque.

Kathy is hanging out in Santa Rosita with a group of girls who enjoyed a daily visit to our clinic. As a 70 yr. old woman, Kathy went outside of her "box" and took a missions trip for the first time in her life. She had a blast, and I got a kick out of her humor. She's a funny lady with a big heart for people.
I clearly recall when this Mom brought her 2 yr old daughter to us. She wanted us to fix a rash she had on her scalp (she had a fungal infection), but I happened to catch some dried blood on the side of her Lt ear. Dr. Whiting had an otoscope with him and he checked it out; sure enough, she had had a ruptured eardrum. That poor mother must've endured some nights of crying, and that child endured some nights of pain; there are no pharmacies in the little village of Santa Rosita. As you can see, the little girl is all dressed up upon her visit to see us. Many of the mothers would dress their children up to make the visit to the school. The little girls' dresses were always very frilly and lacy.
This is the resident midwife of the village. She has birthed hundreds of babies in her 80+yr lifetime. She came to 'chat' with Dr. Whiting, and to get some Tylenol for arthritic aches.
I took this shot the morning we rolled out of Santa Rosita. I had snapped a shot of these women 'sweeping' their yard, which, as the picture shows, consists of dirt. And, I decided I would come say Hola to them and see if they'd like their photo taken. They agreed to it, and so I held the camera out in front of us and this is what I snapped. It was between 7:30-8:00am and these women had already started a fire, swept their yard, washed their clothes and hung them out to dry, and were hard at work doing other domestic duties. There are 2 hard workers housed within those 2 small bodies!!

1 Comments:

At 12:51 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Hondoras looks like a beautiful country. I especially like how you captured the people of Honduras. So often we go places and look at the scenery, but neglect the people of the region.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home