Tuesday, August 07, 2007

China Pics#1 ---The Great Wall





Somehow, I managed to get the layout that is quite squished. I can't figure out how to change it, and I'm not uploading the pictures again! For those not aware of my recent escapades to the far East, I spent two weeks in China the end of June. My cousin Katie lives in Shanghai where she teaches English at a private boarding school. I spent about 9 days in Shanghai, and then we flew NW to Beijing, where we spent 3 days touring that beautiful city. We accessed the Great Wall at a point called the Guyu Pass, which was a strategic point militarily for the Chinese. The Wall actually formed into a little circle at this point because it was considered a likely area of access by invading enemies from the North (the Mongols). I climbed to the sixth little parapet/outpost on a very hot and humid day, but had a lot of fun doing so. As I got higher and higher, the view got more spectacular. Unbelievable to imagine how difficult it must have been for the Chinese to build not only this massive of a structure, but how difficult it would be to do so on such rugged and mountainous terrain. The padlocks seen in the top left picture are left by young couples to sort of be a sign of the steadfastness of their relationship.


While the steps within the wall made it much easier to climb up the mountain versus a foot path, they were very uneven; no two steps were alike. So that required one to look down frequently while climbing up the wall (at least this clumsy woman had to). The air got progressively cooler, so by the time I got up quite high, the cool breeze was refreshing and I wish I could've gone farther and enjoyed more sights: maybe next time! The Wall was certainly all that its name describes it to be: "Great."

8 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger Chris said...

These are great pictures Sarah! I'm happy to see them on your blog:) I'm not sure what you mean about the size of the pictures, they look good.

 
At 5:56 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

What an experience! Great pictures Sarah, very beautiful.

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger Kelly Glupker said...

Nice pictures, Sarah! You are turning into quite the traveler. Maybe you should take your sis-in-law along sometime. Wouldn't that be fun!?! :)

 
At 4:09 PM , Blogger Kara said...

I love living vicariously through my blogging friends.

Would you go back again someday, or is a onetime visit enough?

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger Pam said...

Wow! Those are some beautiful pictures. I'm so glad you posted them. I enjoyed hearing about your trip last month and can't wait to hear more :)

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger Phil Luter said...

Well, I guess I am too late to be the first to tell you that they are wonderful pictures. I hope I get to see the rest of them. I must say I envy you. This looks like such an exciting trip. By the way, happy birthday. I enjoy thinking about how that cute little girl in pigtails turned into this wonderfully mature and beautiful woman with so much talent. From my point of view, 30 is still pretty young (kinda the "new 20"). Keep blogging. We all think you are very interesting and thoughtful in your writing.

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger TraceyLD said...

Wow! The wall looks amazing in the pictures. I can't imagine what it is like in person.
I'm glad you were able to make this trip.
Thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Looking forward to "China Pics #2 --- ????"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home